Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 Playstation 2 PS2 DTL-T / TOOL Development T10000 T15000 Devkit dev kit thread

Doubles Advocate

Donator
Donator
Registered
Oct 27, 2019
AGName
Don't remember
AG Join Date
Some time after 2016 I think?
I think I solved the disc drive mystery, the side panel is just rubbing against the faceplate and it doesn't have enough force to push past it. When I press down on the side panel it comes out fine.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
That was my issue. If you move or remove the faceplate on the drive tray it generally fixes it.

Doubles Advocate

Donator
Donator
Registered
Oct 27, 2019
AGName
Don't remember
AG Join Date
That was my issue. If you move or remove the faceplate on the drive tray it generally fixes it.
Changed my mind again, I disassembled it and tried again. I suspect the belt has perished but still has enough life left in it to open in one orientation but not the other. It would also explain why the opening seems to change speeds based on how far out the tray is. I'll find a replacement belt and see if that fixes it.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
hey guys, sorry its been awhile, ive been very busy so i havent been able to mess with my tool, i hapen to finally find this thread again after multiple time of finding it and losing it, so i think it may be of interest to you guys. Ill talk soon.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Hello, I have decided to write a guide for the tool ps2 since there is no single location with a full command guide and info for any users or new users, so im almost done with it, once i finish, would you guys proof read it to ensure accuracy and or add any missing info?

the7thchild

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
the7thchild
AG Join Date
2011-2-7
Hello, I have decided to write a guide for the tool ps2 since there is no single location with a full command guide and info for any users or new users, so im almost done with it, once i finish, would you guys proof read it to ensure accuracy and or add any missing info?
Of course we are happy to. There is a lack of centralized documentation on the usage of the tool so far.

AKuHAK

Registered
Jun 29, 2019
AGName
AKuHAK
AG Join Date
Good tutorial, but it really needs more pictures, especially in the Tips section. It will be useful to also post a step-by-step guide on what to do first when you receive the unit: for example, it is extremely useful to open the unit and backup all hdds with your home pc before playing with PS2 Tool.
Add sections about how to set up the unit the first time with pictures and possible variations: where connect VGA, how to set up switches, where to connect ethernet, keyboard, and so on (with pictures if possible).

Reactions: Galatea

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Ok, thanks ill make the necessary revisions and repost. As for the pictures, ill see what I can do since most of those tips were not mine but pulled from the internet.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
can you elaborate on what photos you wanting the tip section? i looked over the tip section and I figured most of the stuff is so self explanatory that you dont need a picture, plus you'd have to have some computer knowledge to even know about and use the tool since it is not plug and play.

Also can some one write a thread on how to backup the hard drives of the tool ps2? I know how to restore a backup file to a hdd for the tool to run but I have no clue on haw to back up a tools hdd. if some one can write a detailed thread i will link the thread in this guide.

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
Good starting point, I think you can make it better, here are some remarks:
-you should add what the vga port on the Tool motherboard is for, and the svideo port too while you're at it.
-I don't think tips 2 and 6 are needed as they aren't Tool specific.
-for tip 14, be more precise on which hdd are you calling the first one
-tip 15, you should write down the back dipswitch settings here to make it simpler, or specify in which .pdf document from the official sdk the info can be found.
-the tip about running games in OPL should be after the section where you load OPL on the Tool, also you should write the model numbers for the PCMCIA ethernet/hdd interface cards and external hdds.

You wrote that the T10kH have an extra network card, do you have any proof of that?

Replacing the cmos battery on the SBC is probably worth mentioning before changing BIOS settings.

I don't remember if the telnet daemon isrunning by default on the Tool.
I think you're confusing using the dsnet clientd from a networked computer with connecting through telnet to the Tool...

I'd argue that resetting the root password is easier by booting linux in single user mode from the Lilo prompt than logging into the diagnostic checks user account and exiting the running diag checks to run the passwd command.

I think the network settings can be changed from the web admin interface.
And if you start playing with vi, you should add a short list of command to correct typing errors, or atleast exiting without saving the file being edited.

Also, a tip on what to do if the network config info screen doesn't display the network settings on the PS2 AV out, some people had this problem.

And from your last post, what are you using to restore a hdd dump to another hdd (or CF card), creating the dump in the first place isn't any harder, and chances are the software you used can do both.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Good starting point, I think you can make it better, here are some remarks:
-you should add what the vga port on the Tool motherboard is for, and the svideo port too while you're at it.
-I don't think tips 2 and 6 are needed as they aren't Tool specific.
-for tip 14, be more precise on which hdd are you calling the first one
-tip 15, you should write down the back dipswitch settings here to make it simpler, or specify in which .pdf document from the official sdk the info can be found.
-the tip about running games in OPL should be after the section where you load OPL on the Tool, also you should write the model numbers for the PCMCIA ethernet/hdd interface cards and external hdds.

You wrote that the T10kH have an extra network card, do you have any proof of that?

Replacing the cmos battery on the SBC is probably worth mentioning before changing BIOS settings.

I don't remember if the telnet daemon isrunning by default on the Tool.
I think you're confusing using the dsnet clientd from a networked computer with connecting through telnet to the Tool...

I'd argue that resetting the root password is easier by booting linux in single user mode from the Lilo prompt than logging into the diagnostic checks user account and exiting the running diag checks to run the passwd command.

I think the network settings can be changed from the web admin interface.
And if you start playing with vi, you should add a short list of command to correct typing errors, or atleast exiting without saving the file being edited.

Also, a tip on what to do if the network config info screen doesn't display the network settings on the PS2 AV out, some people had this problem.

And from your last post, what are you using to restore a hdd dump to another hdd (or CF card), creating the dump in the first place isn't any harder, and chances are the software you used can do both.
Thank you very much, ill update accordingly, if I have any issues with updating my list I see if you can word it better than me. as for the cmos battery, that is great if you have the PCI815VE card but if you have the other one, I searched the card without taking it out and the only battery I found was was a clock chip on the other one.

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
hope fully the Dallas rtc battery dosent leak over time, I know it can be disastrous with barrel type battery's in the commodore amiga line of computers. thanks for the pictures and the manuals. I will be sure to include them.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
on another note, did you ever figure out how to hook another external hdd to the tool without usb or the pcmcia adapter?

Doubles Advocate

Donator
Donator
Registered
Oct 27, 2019
AGName
Don't remember
AG Join Date
I just got the replacement belts for my TOOL and can now conclusively say that they're not the issue either. Even after both replacing the belts and adding lithium grease to the tracks the disc drive is still seemingly being slowed by something when ejecting.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
maybe its the motor that ejects the disc drive. even though its nice to have a working dvd drive, OPL can do the same thing that the disc drive can do.

Make a donation