PS1 Sony PlayStation 1 Development Hardware

Discussion in 'Development Hardware' started by Spaceman, May 10, 2017.

1. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Thought I'd do my part to boost the information trove here on the site. Here's a list of most of Sony's Dev hardware and debugger/testing units for the PS1. If you have any pictures of any of the models listed, please share with us! :thumbsup: I will be posting pictures of units I have stored in my archive but please do share some new ones if you have them, or even take some for us if you have one of these units yourself!

DTL-H1000 Original (Blue) Unknown (22/09/94) Rev. A NTSC-J Yes S-Video direct out. Debugger.
    DTL-H1000H Original (Grey) 1.1 (22/01/95) Rev. B
    DTL-H1001 Original (Blue) 2.0 (07/05/95) NTSC-U/C
    DTL-H1001H Original (Grey) Unknown (Unknown)
    DTL-H1002 Original (Blue) 2.0 (10/05/95) PAL
    DTL-H1100 2.2 (06/03/96) NTSC-J Has external power supply.
    DTL-H1101 2.1 (17/07/95) NTSC-U/C
    DTL-H1200 Original (Green) 2.2 (04/12/95) Rev. C NTSC-J
    DTL-H1201 NTSC-U/C

DTL-H2500 Development Hardware which contains:
    DTL-2500 PlayStation emulation and profiling PCI expansion card.
    Controller adaptor daughter board.
    Controller and memory card expansion box (so you can use standard controllers and memory cards with the devkit).
    SCART lead to connect the devkit to a TV.
    Internal CD-ROM reader (DTL-2510).
    External SCSI CD-Writer (CDU921S) - with CD caddy.
    One PlayStation development controller.

2. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Here are some beautiful pictures of the Debugger unit DTL-H1001. I found these awhile back on AG. If it's your unit, give a shoutout! This is the most common PS1 dev unit sold online, with the ability to play all burned disks. Developers, debuggers and playtesters would use these units to test and debug WiP builds of their games during the development process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyway1985, Demon and Digmac like this.
  3. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Two pictures of the DTL-H1101 unit. Not sure if it's due to lighting in the image or some other unseen factor or even just a design choice, but this unit is a tad darker blue than the H-1001.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

DTL-H1200, the green debug unit. JP only units, with a more limited release to JP devs as far as I know. Has the name of the factory it was produced from on the sticker. If you have any other info about it please share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Skyway1985, Demon and Digmac like this.
  5. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

The last unit I have pictures for. DTL-H2500 Development Kit. The list of its contents is in the first post. This was used in tandem with an ancient win95/98 PC and the various development software (be it private in house development tols and engines or the commercial programs like CodeWarrior) to develop beloved PS1 games for the masses to enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Digmac

Digmac Ex Staff Gold Member

Have some likes all around! Excellent writeup, and it's just what we need.

Thanks @Spaceman

Skyway1985, Demon and Spaceman like this.
  7. PixelButts

PixelButts Dev Kit Owner

It's important to note that (i am open to being corrected here)

-H100X models can play any region (except W - yaroze)
    -H110X models are(?) region restricted (this is my understanding, i am 100% not sure)
    -H120X models are region restricted (not all for some odd reason? might be wrong but reports of this exist. patching games works too usually)
    -H300X (yaroze) models are region free (inclusive of W), but cannot play burned medium (and i dont know if a modchip exists for this?)

Realistically the best model so to say is the H100X, but due to lens reliability H110X is better, but theres also the aspect of the Yaroze which inherently plays everything except burned mediums

Demon likes this.
  8. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

As far as I know, H100X aren't region locked at all apart from Yaroze kits.
    I can't confirm H110X's restrictions but I agree with you as from my docs, one is JP and one is NTSC. I haven't seen pictures/info of a H110X PAL model.
    I think the H120X NTSC models were restricted, not the J models. Again cannot confirm.
    H300X Yaroze models can be chipped if you have a chip that will work with the Yaroze board, not throw in a mm3 or whatever. Plus, damaging a Yaroze with a bad chip or solder job is just wasteful when you could chip in the extra money and get yourself a H100/H110X and save yourself the hassle of opening it up. Yaroze are really only good if you are a collector with lots of regional games and want everything authentic/legal.

9. PixelButts

PixelButts Dev Kit Owner

I had a 1200 (J) and it was locked to Japan code, so I know it's locked except for some odd ones that came around sometimes

Its aesthetic is unmatched no less

10. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Curious. Thanks for letting me know. There must've been a second revision or just a dodgy batch in the factory or something.
    I like the Yaroze (especially the very awesome black finish!) but I'm still more partial to the blue of the H-100X's. So pretty.

11. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Dev Kit Owner

I love that Thrill Kill is used to demonstrate the first console :D

12. DeChief

DeChief Gold Member

The plastic can fade pretty badly, I've had some DTL-H1200's that almost look like H1000's because they've faded so much.

Man, look at my dirty carpet in the background! :p

Wait, there's a DTL-H100X model that's actually a Yaroze? Do you have any more information on this?

Skyway1985 likes this.
  13. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

No, there isn't one. The H100X cannot play the region that Yaroze games run on (W), as you need the proper Yaroze kit to run those games.

14. DeChief

DeChief Gold Member

Ah right.

I have a DTL-H1100 by the way, I'll take some photos before I sell it.

15. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Please do I'd love to see it!

16. Logi

Logi Dev Kit Owner

There was also the DTL-H2000 dev board, which came prior to the DTL-H2500 and the DTL-H2700 dev board which came after it.

Here is a pic of the DTL-H2000 with the DTL-H201A graphic artists board and the DTL-H2010 external CD-Rom drive.
    [​IMG]

DTL-H1030 mouse
    [​IMG]

It may also be worth mentioning the DTL-H1202 that came with the Net Yaroze controller ports. When one of these first surfaced people thought that a dev must have done it to repair a broken console.
    [​IMG]

But after more of these consoles started to appear, it became apparent that they had been shipped from Sony like that. (these 2 consoles are not mine)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Spaceman and DeChief like this.
  17. charels

charels bored Dev Kit Owner

Isn't the S KISARAZU the factory it was made in not a name of the person it was given to?

18. DeChief

DeChief Gold Member

Correct.

19. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Wondeful info and brilliant pictures. I never knew that it wasn't just a custom repair job with Yaroze ports, seen a few around online over the years and thought "why would you botch something like that?" Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for clarifying, I will edit the post and change my untrue information. i just went with what I thought was the case. :joyful:

Logi likes this.