Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Thoughts on the Polymega?

PocketTim

Original poster
Registered
Jun 24, 2019
Have seen that the beta version of this has landed in the hands of a few tech journalists.

Even though I'm equipped with a self compiled and highly customised RetroPie set up, I can't help but be impressed by this, in particular the Saturn emulation. It's very expensive but very cool.

pool7

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
From https://www.polymega.com/faq/

IS POLYMEGA™ 100% EMULATION?
Polymega’s Modules use top tier emulators with low latency controller inputs.

What hardware does Polymega™ use?
Processor: Intel Coffee Lake S Series Processor
Memory: 2GB DDR4 RAM
Connectivity: Realtek RTL8822BE Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Combo Module, HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, Polymega™ Expansion Bus
On-board Storage: 32GB eMMC Flash Memory
Expansion Storage: M.2 2280 SSD, Micro SDXC (SD Port on back)
Optical Drive: 8X CD/DVD Slot-in Optical Disc Drive

What Software does Polymega™ use?
Architecture: x86
User Interface: Codename Richter (Proprietary, Linux Based).
Emulators: Legally licensed versions of Mednafen, Mesen, Kega Fusion, and MAME with additional bug fixes, CD BIOS development, and replaced YM2610 for Neo Geo CD from Playmaji.
So yeah, it's just a PC with emulators.
Sure, it has controller ports and can read cartridges, but is that really worth the price?

Reactions: Denryu

StevO9389

Registered
May 30, 2019
One reviewer praised the Saturn emulation, Neo Geo CD load times and ability to install/remove game patches. Considering the asinine prices of a ODE modded Saturn you could buy the Polymega bundle and come out ahead.

Reactions: Anthony817

PocketTim

Original poster
Registered
Jun 24, 2019
One reviewer praised the Saturn emulation, Neo Geo CD load times and ability to install/remove game patches. Considering the asinine prices of a ODE modded Saturn you could buy the Polymega bundle and come out ahead.

You're not wrong. When I first saw the price of this I was shocked, however for my RetroPie I spent about £50 on the Pi4, £15 on the SD card, £30 on the case, £40 on an 8BitDo controller, £10 on API access for ScreenScraper.fr and then I'd hate to think how many hours I spent carefully compiling, customising, scraping meta data, cleaning rom lists etc. Thats not far off £200 + maybe 50 hours work.

This however, plug in and off you go. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal at all.

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
I want one. I was going to buy a Japanese PS1 and 2nd Saturn for games that give my framemeister problems. But I think this is a more convenient option plus I get PC Engine CD and Neo Geo CD.