• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

WTB (UK) XBOX Setup With Compact Flash

dannygranger

Reaction score
AG User Name
dannygranger
AG Join Date
November 26, 2012
Hi

I already have a TSOP, Ind-BIOS Crystal, but it's running on IDE and I have no idea how to setup a flash drive system nor have the expertise. I'm after a modded XBOX setup with compact flash. I'm scared of the IDE on this dying on me.

Dans34

VIP
Reaction score
AG User Name
Dans87
AG Join Date
Jan 6, 2013
with the amount of writes the card will have to put up with I bet it wont last long

Mord.Fustang

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
Compact flash is probably not the best setup for this.

Even an SSD would probably be a better replacement over CF.

Could use an IDE to Sata adapter with an SSD.

with the amount of writes the card will have to put up with I bet it wont last long
Considering it's a gaming machine, once all the games are loaded up on the drive, there shouldn't be a significant amount of writes. Most of the writing would be save games I would imagine.

dannygranger

Reaction score
AG User Name
dannygranger
AG Join Date
November 26, 2012
Yeah, I've just seen some negativity regarding CF elsewhere. I guess SSD's are best if they can be put in without some cheap adapter causing an electrical fire. Are SSD's a proven concept with OG XBOX? I haven't seen any example, just actual SATA mechanical drives.

Mord.Fustang

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
There's no real reason it shouldn't work. However, you will not be using the drive to its full potential... you'd never get instant load speeds because the Xbox is an old machine with slower speeds that would bottleneck the SSD. But an SSD should theoretically last longer than a traditional hard drive because there are no moving parts, and the XBox should have low rewrites.

As SSDs become cheaper and more popular, I suspect that in the near future we will be seeing more people using SSDs instead of spinning hard disks in this type of application.

cta

Refugee
Reaction score
AG Join Date
March 2010
I outfitted one of my Xboxen with an old SATA SSD that I had no other use for. Took some random SATA-to-IDE adapter and used the Hexen disc (iirc) to initalize the drive. Worked right away.
Can't say much about absolute longevity since that particular box doesn't get much use. I can guarantee it's way better than a CF card would've been though.

Last edited:

dannygranger

Reaction score
AG User Name
dannygranger
AG Join Date
November 26, 2012
So it's just a case of getting a SATA to IDE adapter, an old SSD and booting up Hexen?

Can you link the adapter you used?

cta

Refugee
Reaction score
AG Join Date
March 2010
That's pretty much it, yeah.

Unfortunately I can't link you to the specific adapter I used. One of the cheap ones off AliExpress... Looked like this I think. I always keep a few of them around and rarely ever had problems (and in those cases where I did, the expensive ones didn't work either).