Welcome to the Obscure Gamers!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Guest , A new look for OG has been released with both dark and light styles, to change please check out the left hand side of the footer to change.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox devkit Jewels?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Logi, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Logi

Dev Kit Owner

Anyone seen these before:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/xbox-dev...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The seller claims that they are jewels from early Xbox devkits, but I have never seen them.
    Although I am not really that knowledgeable with Xbox stuff.

Maybe they are prototypes? Or just custom jobs by a fan?
    Either way at the current price of $22.50 for the pair, I think these would be a good addition to someones collection.

2. Demon

These were brougt up on Discord the other day, I can't remember the outcome @Borman @gaming247 might remember more.

Still pretty cool even at this price.

Logi likes this.
  3. MoonTar

Dev Kit Owner

Actually he says they are badges not jewels. They are too small to be jewels at least for a regular Xbox. These probably end up going to for way too much.

Demon likes this.
  4. gaming247

Administrator

I believe these are custom fan made. I tried looking into the company Angell and didn't come up with anything. They are cool looking, I still threw in a little bid, but I wasn't willing to pay $90+ for something that is likely unofficial. I've taken that risk before and it didn't work out so well. Haha

5. Borman

Gold Member

Fan made, custom imprinted metal? Unlikely, but im a bit biased.

I sent a message to Seamus, he thinks they are probably design tests. Doesn't remember the second one, but I feel like it matches some internal docs. Colors on the first channel that direct x heritage.

MoonTar likes this.
  6. gaming247

Administrator

To each their own. My MS contact (not nearly as prestigious as Seamus of course) did not believe them to be Microsoft made.

With entire websites back in the day, dedicated to making aftermarket cases, lights, mods and jewels, it's not a huge stretch to think these would be custom.

"Colors matching" is a weak argument, but if you could find a reference in the design docs I'd love to see it.

Also, you mentioned before they were "badges" because they are too small for og Xbox jewels. What were these badges used on?

7. MoonTar

Dev Kit Owner

Well, I don't have a MS contact like the cool kids but personally I didn't think they looked good enough to be designs from MS (not a good reason I know). I also didn't think the font was right since I assumed back then the word "Xbox" would still have been in that slanted style font.

gaming247 likes this.
  8. gaming247

Administrator

Good point, if they were truly that early, they likely would have used the earlier logo.

I'm not saying it's impossible they are legit, but I'm not personally sold on it yet. Not enough to throw a few hundred bucks at two of them anyway. But it could be a great find for the winner.

MoonTar likes this.
  9. MoonTar

Dev Kit Owner

Borman was the winner. :p

10. Borman

Gold Member

They are much closer in size to the alpha kit jewel honestly. They don't need to be that early, just early enough. Angell was a manufacturing company, still exist but under a different name, and they did do some stuff for electronics companies.

11. gaming247

Administrator

MS made or not, they are slick looking! I just disagreed that "custom imprinted metal" meant they must have been designed and ordered by Microsoft. For a price, you could have ordered a "Borman's Xbox" logo custom imprinted in metal. Even back in the early 2000's.

Nice pickup either way. I'd love to hear more if you find any concrete info about them.

12. Borman

Gold Member

I just said that it was unlikely, not that they must be manufactured by Microsoft :p Anything is available to someone with money, I could have a silver X replica built if I wanted hah. Definitive answers will be tough, if only because of the age, but at least Ill be able to point to a few things that lend themselves to it being real. And if its not? Well, it was 97 bucks or whatever after shipping.

DeChief and gaming247 like this.
  13. gaming247

Administrator

Fair enough. Looking forward to some better pictures once they arrive. If you don't mind me asking, are they for you personally, or the museum?

14. Borman

Gold Member

Depends on what they are. Eventually Id like most of my stuff to go to the museum.

Demon and gaming247 like this.
  15. DeChief

Gold Member

I'm glad you got them, I was going to bid more than that but realised I wouldn't actually do anything with them. :p

Borman likes this.
  16. Borman

Gold Member

I cant find where the majority of the good docs are that might have some of the answers people want. There is a file with early logos, well at least one as I recreated it at one point, but I cant remember where they were located. And Windows is being slow this week, so its not searching properly. Im fairly confident that they are really anyway based off what I remember being in those files plus the other evidence, but I need to find it for my own sanity.

DeChief likes this.