X360 Xbox360 Devkits - overvoltage kills sidecars (?)

Discussion in 'Development Hardware' started by STiP0, Jun 12, 2017.

1. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs Dev Kit Owner

There's an urban legend out there in the xbox community, that the cause of Phat Sidecars dying is due to overvoltage over the USB cable, killing both resistors on the top board and likely killing other parts. This overvoltage would be due to power surges, or just bad connection / grounding.

-I've had one sidecar (Gen.1 from a Zephyr) Die mysteriously, and i can name about 5 people who have also had their sidecars die, totally mysteriously. The conclusion has always been that their sidecar was always plugged into USB, and have stayed connected till dying mysteriouly.

The question is: Is there any truth to this myth, and if so .. do you feel safe leaving your sidecars connected to USB overnight...? - I wouldn't.

2. Demon

Demon Staff Member

I've never heard of this myself but then again I do only have 1 phat sidecar. (Weirdly dead :p) has anybody taking one of these dead sidecars apart to see whats fried? it's quite possible as you said it's overvoltage.

3. fate6

fate6 Lolita Dress Collector Gold Member

Question! Why leave the sidecar connected? I assume we are talking the DVDEmu USB and if so why are people connecting that at all? beside messing with it for lulz there is no reason to use it over just running games from HDD.

4. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs Dev Kit Owner

I'd say it's more common to those who need to do quick development testing of custom executables, or those who actively play with source code builds of their games. It's faster to build an iso and send it to GDE than to transfer the file and everything along with it.

I used to leave mine plugged into for the whole gimmick of it, saying "i did it cause i could" & "i have a sidecar, and its cool" - this eventually killed my sidecar lol...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. fate6

fate6 Lolita Dress Collector Gold Member

In a dev environment yea its fast but you can push code to the HDD ya know, Only reason to use the DVDEmu is to check for compliance with access times and shiz.

EDIT: and yes also cause fak it you have one so what evz :D

STiP0 likes this.
  6. XeDK

XeDK Not A New Member Gold Member

I have three I'm going to start looking into. Trying to fix them and get them working again.

@STiP0 Edit: before I do are we talking about E79 error when the sidecar won't read the hdd anymore?